Thursday, September 28, 2006

Herman & Melville


These are my ducks.

I named them - Herman and Melville.

They're acually my neighbors ducks - they just sit on my lawn and pluck their own feathers out onto my lawn. They needed names though. I couln't very well call them Sally and Sue or something nice.. then I'd have to say nice things about them - like "oh, here come the girls!" as they waddle down my lawn. And even the possibility of calling them "the girls" seemed inappropriate at best. I may be cooking more and taking care of my own home, but I don't need to go there... I'm not going to start knitting or making tea cozies... or calling those ducks by anything other than Herman and Melville.

However, have you ever realized what bizarre creatures ducks are? they float. Really. We say they "swim" but really they float, and paddle themselves around. Do all birds float? I know they'd tumble over and float upside-down if they did float... but I wonder if they do. It seems a crazy thing. How great would it be to be able to float. we could jus "push" ourselves along on the water... but I suppose Scuba diving would be out of the question. OK - I'll stick with not floating.. but it's pretty cool that ducks can.

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there is nothing wrong with knitting! It doesn't mean you are old or anything. I guess I know who isn't ever getting a hand knit gift. :) Just kidding. I don't even think you knew I knit. Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home